Justice

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Northface

I knit this in a day during the first week of grand jury duty. There is a significant amount of "down time" which is different from "break." We are guaranteed two 15 minute breaks. I equate "down time" with being on-call. You have to be ready to drop everything and listen to cases.

Do not buy or wear Northface. It can be dangerous to your health. I recommend Patagonia. Can't say any thing else due to the secret nature of the proceedings.

The knitting below is make with yarn that my sister-in-law, Sheila, made. Yes, I said made. She carded, dyed, and spun this beautiful fiber. After knitting this much I decided to stop. I want to use bigger needles so you can really appreciate the yarn. Her website and blog can be found at: www.eweniquefiber.com/


This is my latest project (below). It will, one day, be a wrap/shawl. It has more of a pattern (aka pay attention while you are knitting) than I am use to. I like the brainless knitting but given the time I have I thought I would be a nice challenge.

Enough of my fiber content and back to jury stuff...there are some jurors on my jury (1 of 5) that are driving me crazy. I am actually shocked at the amount of blatant disregard: talking, sucking teeth, reading the paper or a book. It is amazing that people will sit there and judge witnesses - you can tell from the questions and tone of the questions they ask. The teacher part of me wants to come out and say something and then I think, it isn't my job, they are adults, yadda yadda. I have started tallying questions (I know, how mature) that the annoying people ask. Today I decided to start playing my own version of Survivor. Each day I will vote off the most annoying person. They will get to come back the next day b/c if we don't have 16 people (quorum) we can't do business. Simple pleasures.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Beautiful work, Lara. What pattern are you using for the shawl?
Northface,huh? Very intrigiung......
I love the image of you scolding those unruly jurors. I think you should do it, even if it isn't your job. Or, you could start playing them against one-another, ala "Survivor".

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The knitting is looking really good! At least there is a positive side to this jury duty thing... you are getting in some quality time with the needles! Sorry to hear that your jury comrads are less then optimal. Maybe you could teach them how to knit...keep their hands busy so they won't talk so much!

10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,Lara, I miss you at school.
I am so impressed with your knitting, I guess you have lots of time. I am working on a blanket for my son's girlfriend,it's almost done.
I really like th eone in the second picture,beautiful yarn.
Today our "perfect attendance" students went to the Signature Theater, it was fun.
Why do you say such things about North Face? We just gave Victor for Christmas a very very expensive jacket. This is NOT good news...
Well, I am so ready for the long weekend, I wish you a good one. Take care! Ms. G

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the lol. which i needed at the end of week2 with new students. my 2p is continuing to challenge me but i will win!!!! really miss you..SR

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home