Justice

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Miranda

I learned something yesterday. If you are talking to a police officer before you have been read your Miranda rights they can't use that information directly against you BUT, they can use it on a cross examination. For example, if Joe were arrested for fighting (assault, as we call it) and he was talking with the police (before being read his rights) and he said, "Bob never hit me." Then, on the stand he said, "Bob hit me 5 times," the defense attorney could use the information from the first conversation and ask,"Didn't you initially say to police that he didn't hit you?" I am not sure I explained that well. It made sense yesterday.

Two of my friends started grand jury duty yesterday. DC is pretty small or I know a lot of people. Lots of knitting getting done!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, at least we got a 2 hour delay yesterday...Happy Valentine Day to you today. We're clipping along here, week 2 of semester 2.
miss you, SR

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you explained it very well. The hard part would be in practice to remember in the heat of the event what you said when and to whom. Its one of the reasons I try to always tell the truth then I do not have to remember which version I gave to whom. Am I using whom properly. Are you knitting me a scarf (hint hint) LF

1:14 PM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Not to turn this into a knitting blog, but could you post pictures of your knitting.....some eye candy for your fellow knitters? You wouldn't have to say what is for whom?!

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home